JC-History of the Markets Area of Dublin(Brief) « Designing Dublin: Learning to Learn

JC-History of the Markets Area of Dublin(Brief)

The original/first market in this area was the Ormond market, built between 1682 and 1684, by Sir Humphrey Jarvis, at the rear of Ormond Quay, and called after James Butler, the first Duke of Ormond.(1). It was for a time the principle home of Dublin butchers. It seems to have been built to a circular plan with a collection of of small alleys. It survived until 1890 and was demolished to make way for Artisans housing.

In 1681 and again in 1682 Sir Humphrey Jarvis was elected Lord Mayor. During his time in office the City markets were moved from south of the river to north, resulting in many complaints being made against him. It was alledged that he had forcibly driven traders from the old City markets to his new grounds.

Green street;

From little Britain st to North king Street.

Originally known as Abbey green from the green of Mary’s Abbey.

No 25 originally housed the old sheriffs prison, sessions house and Newgate Prison, the foundations of which now marks Saint Michan’s park.

The court house built in 1792-97 and designed by Whitmore Davis, was the scene of many famous trials including Wolfe Tone, Robert Emmet and the Fenian leaders. Lord Edward Fitzgerald died here. It is now used as the special criminal court.

Little Green Street;

Green street little was originally known as Bradogue lane from the river that rises near Cabra and enters the river liffey at Arran street east. It also recieved it’s name, Little Green from the bigger Abbey Green of Saint Mary’s Abbey.

Old Distillary Apartments.

Lady from these apartments noticed people lost in the area (tourists).

Georges hill school; Opened in 1974 by the presentation Order-Order founded by Nano Nagle in Cork

Father Matthew square- Bronze sculpture commisioned by DCC for Moore street. Erected in the square during 2010. Titled the Green Lamp’ a bronze casting by Rachel Joynt. This was originallycommisioned for Moore st and erected on the corner of Moore street and Parnell st, in front of the Ilac centre. It lay in the public lighting workshop for some years before being repositioned ai Father Matthew square.

Mary’s Abbey;      Name comes from the Abbey of Saint Mary, foundation affiliated to the monestry of Savigny founded in 1193. the rmains of the Chapter House may be viewed at meetinghouse lane, together with the slype of 1190.

The monks owned extensive lands around the monestry which was extended by Henry11 in 1172 to include the land of Clonliff as far as the Tolka. In 1147 the Abbeys of St Mary and of Savigny (In Normandy) came under the Cistercian order.in the middle ages.

Dublin Fish market;

Demolished in november 2005 as part of a £400 million redevelopment of the markets area of Dublin. The 19th century marked ceased trading the previous April.

Dublin Fruit market; The building is decorated with representations of the goods being sold within – clumps of onions and other fruit and vegetables are surrounded by terracotta detailing. The sculptures around the granite entrance archways are by Charles Harrison. The whole ensemble of polychromic brickwork, ornate wrought iron grilles and sculptures gives the markets a ornateness and cheerfulness that is missing in many of similar purpose but more recent buildings that surround it.

Some, if not all the cast iron work was carried out/manufactured by John Lysagtal of Bristol, in 1891

Trading began in late 1892

History

Ormond Square;

Most famouse resident,John Giles international and Leeds soccer player, was born in this square at no 7. All of these residences had four families living in them.

Chancery pub;

One of the old early houses around Dublin, origanlly catering for night and early morning workers. This pub was sold to a group of solicitors who lease it to the present management. It has developed a reputation for violence at morning time and is reputedly the first point of call for prisoners released from mountjoy prison.?

Residents from the area will only use it in the evening.

Teresa Mulally;

Presentation Convent, George’s Hill, Dublin 7 was founded on 20th August 1794.  Teresa Mulally, a humble woman of independent means had, in 1766, quietly started a Catholic school in Mary’s Lane for the poor girls of inner-city Dublin.  Striving to ensure its future, she had purchased a plot of land on George’s Hill in the hope that she would get a religious community to continue her work of teaching poor Catholic children.  She even had a convent and school built on the plot of ground which was approx one rood in size.  It was in the city centre of Dublin, north of the Liffey in Halston Street Parish. It was surrounded by streets.  Newgate Prison and the Central Criminal Court were across the street.

The founding Sisters were Sister M. Francis Xavier Doyle and Sister M. Ignatius Doran, both of whom had previously taught in the school.  The convent was a four storey building with basement, the entrance being on the George’s Hill side. The initial benefactor was Father Philip Mulcaile S.J., Mrs Coppinger and Mr. John Bray.

In 1906, a large school room was taken in to the Convent which offered room for a Novitiate and four cells.  In 1953, the two top storeys of the Orphanage were taken over to provide eight additional rooms for the Sisters.

The first school dates back to 1794. It consisted of a large room on the ground floor of the Convent.  Later, a further large room in the Orphanage was acquired.

When the Sisters took over the school in 1794, Teresa Mulally did not wish that the pupils would get a Summer vacation.  When the Sisters stated that they needed time to recoup their strength and have time for their retreat, Teresa relented.

No amount of literature could capture the wit and wisdom heard all around our streets.  The children have inherited this quick wit and humour.  One example of this is when five girls from 6th class had a row and were sent to the Principal.  She sat the girls down and each told her their story.  Then one of them “piped up” “Sure sister, you couldn’t believe the Hail Mary out of her mouth. She tells lies all the time and they’re not even true”.  Sister had to brace herself to prevent a smile at this critical moment in the argument!

During the 1916 Rebellion, the George’s Hill Convent and Schools were between two firing lines.  A machine gun was placed by the military in the street opposite and they fired at their opponents at the other side of the buildings.  Windows and walls were pierced with bullets.  For two days and nights, destruction seemed inevitable.  However, by Saturday evening a truce was made and George’s Hill was saved.

Dublin-A City defined by it’s trade.

Comments are closed.