Dublin takes it’s name from ‘The Black Pool’ (Dubh Linn) which was on the site of the present Dublin Castle Garden.
The chair on which George Frederic Handel is said to have used for the first performance of The Messiah in Dublin , 1742 is now in the Dublin Writers Museum , 18 Parnell Square .
The remains of St. Valentine are contained in Whitefriar Street Carmelite Church, on Aungier Street in Dublin .
The phrase ‘chancing your arm’ originated in St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Dublin , where you had to put your hand into a hole to open the Medieval Chapter House door.
Trinity College is built on reclaimed land from the estuary of the river Liffey.
Some famous graduates from Trinity College-Bram Stoker-Oscar wilde-Johnathan Swift.
In December 1759 Arthur Guiness signed a 9,000 year lease at a rent of £45 for the Guiness Brewery.
Dublin has five Georgian squares-Parnell-Mountjoy-Merrion-Fitzwilliam and St Stephens Green.
Georges Bernard Shaw is the only person to have recieved both a nobel prize for litreature and an Oscar. He recieved both for Pygmalion which was produced as a movie entitled My Fair Lady.
The novelist, Bram Stoker who wrote Dracula, worked in Dublin castle as a civil servent for a short time in the 1870s.
Dublin has a total of 28 Martello towers dotting the coastline. They were built in the 1800s to withstand a Napoleonic invasion which actually never happened.
Malahide castle is said to be haunted by a number of differant ghosts. On the morning of the battle of the Boyne in 1690, 14 members of the Talbot family breakfasted together in the great hall. By nightfall all 14 were dead. Ooooh-scarrry
The first chapter of James Joyce’s Ulysses, is set in the Martello tower in Sandycove, now open to the public as the James Joyce Tower.
Percy French, Engineer, songwriter, artist and journalist was married in the Pepper Canister Church, off Mount St.
The circular carvings on the Victorian buildings on St Werburagh and Beale st, depict scenes from Gullivers travels.
Dublin’s O’Connell Bridge was originally made of rope and could only carry a one man and a donkey at a time. It was replaced with a wooden structure in 1801. The current (No pun intended) concrete bridge was built in 1863 and is the only traffic bridge in Europe which is wider than it is long.
Hill 16, in Croke park, was constructed from the rubble left in Sackville st (Now O’Connell st) after the 1916 rising. Croke park is noe the 4th largest sports stadium in Europe, with a capacity of 82,500.
The Ha’penny bridge is so called because pedestrians had to pay a half penny to cross over it. There were 480 half pennies in an old pound.
Irelands most famous rockers, U2, started out busking in Grafton st and the dandelion market.
The duke of Wellington was born in Dublin in 1769 and the famous Wellington boot is named after him.
Cairbre, the lion used to introduce the Metro Goldwyn Meyer (MGM) films, was born in Dublin zoo in 1927.
Dublin-A City shaped by it’s history